Vice Worldchampion Taekwondo
Taekwondo Weltmeisterschaften 1983
- Thomas Fabula (GERMANY), SILVER
- Lee Jae-Bong (KOREA), GOLD
- Ahmet Ercan (TURKEY) BRONCE
- Gustavo Sanciprián (MEXICO) BRONCE
— Thomas Fabula (@TFConsult) October 21, 2023
German National Team
The 6th Taekwondo World Championship 1983 was held in the Danish capital Copenhagen from October 20 to 23, 1983. A total of 10 competitions were held in different weight classes. Official competitions for women did not yet exist. 353 athletes from a total of 51 countries participated.
The german men’s team won 5 medals, a total of 3x silver, 2x bronze and thus claimed the 4th place in the world medal ranking.
- Dirk Jung, silver – Heavy weight + 84 kg
- Eugen Nefedow, silver – Light heavy weight – 84 kg
- Thomas Fabula, silver – Feather weight – 60 kg
- Harald Scharmann, bronce – Welter weight – 68 kg
- Chan-Ok Choi, bronce – Fin weight – 48 kg
Of the 10 possible official World Championship medals, South Korea has won 8, some in very impressive fashion.
“Your sporting career can rightfully be described as exceptional. Your international sporting successes have contributed significantly to the top position of our federation at European and the global level. Your role model as a prominent top athlete is of great value to our association and our sport.” ~ Joachim C. Hey, Vice president, German Taekwondo Federation
“An above-average talent … Above all, Thomas Fabula has the ambition to turn talent into fighting action.” ~ Univ.-Prof. Dr.rer.nat. Wolfgang Dahmen, Leibniz laureate, Vice-Worldchampion Taekwondo, RWTH Aachen